Monday, October 16, 2006

The Thoughts of a Black Panther

Black Child's Pledge
By Shirley Williams
October 26, 1968
The Black Panther Party
Technorati Profile


I pledge allegiance to my Black People. I pledge to develop my mind and body to the greatest extent possible. I will learn all that I can in order to give my best to my People in their struggle for liberation. I will keep myself physically fit, building a strong body free from drugs and other substances which weaken me and make me less capable of protecting myself, my family and my Black brothers and sisters. I will unselfishly share my knowledge and understanding with them in order to bring about change more quickly. I will discipline myself to direct my energies thoughtfully and constructively rather than wasting them in idle hatred. I will train myself never to hurt or allow others to harm my Black brothers and sisters for I recognize that we need every Black Man, Woman, and Child to be physically, mentally and psychologically strong. These principles I pledge to practice daily and to teach them to others in order to unite my People.


What line would you add to this pledge considering the challenges we as African/African Americans face in today's society?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Brother Levoyd,
I am loving your forum as your writing is as eloquent as your elegant soul. I would add my pledge to the list: I voluntarily remove the blind fold from my eyes, the muffler from my mouth, and the shackles from my mind so that I can accompany you with living the life of LIGHT in the order of the Divine.

Anonymous said...

I pledge to never look down my nose at another. To remember to look back or reach down and pull the next one up.

Anonymous said...

I pledge to respect and honor my ancestors, on this earth and in the spirit world.

ATL

Anonymous said...

I pledge in this struggle of liberation, to live as a honorable warrior.

Anonymous said...

Great post and so needed today. Today, Black Pride is the hair grease getting peddled at the Korean beauty supply store. The leaders of the Panthers are urban legends for urban-tees. My natural, big hair is no longer a symbol of my strength and rejection of mainstream ideals, but seen as a fashion trend.

What happened to the revolution? The torch was handed off, right? For all the ancestors and elders died for, conspired for, marched for, flipped off authority for, met in secret rooms for, waded through swamps and sewers for, is not dead, but at unrest inside of me. That type power never dies, but just transfers itself to the next. That is simple science.

Smothering such pledges and allegiances has been the catalyst to the decaying fibers of our community. Socially, politically, religiously and emotionally, we are at a stage of rot. Disgusting is how we describe the videos for BET. Wasted is how we label our youth. Foul is what we call fake preachers and teachers. When is someone going to be ready to take out the garbage?? Be the trash man or clean up woman?

Cleaning up “home” will take bringing back such pledges into the family circles, churches and schools. And with this step, for our sake, will start a process of nurturing, revival, pride...LIFE.

I am going to copy and print for my daily affirmations.

two fingers, fist up and never forget....
tanya

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't pledge crap to "my people", I only make pledges to myself.